Career & Technical Educational Center is an educational center that focuses on your future – by providing training that will increase your industry-related skill and knowledge to assist you in finding employment. CTEC, a program of The Learning Centers at Fairplex, offers a wide range of career training, including: Automotive, 2D & 3D Visual Design, Water Technology, Fashion Design, Urban Farming, Culinary and Hospitality. There is no cost to high school participants and, with a partnership with San Antonio ROP, students receive hours that may be used for elective credits towards high school graduation. We also offer low-cost classes for adults. For more information, visit: tlcfairplex.org/ctec.
What is Urban Farming?
Urban Farming is an innovative solution to increase access to fresh food while at the same time revitalizing the economic and social health of communities. It is also nurturing a new generation of young leaders through the operation of an urban farming enterprise. CTEC’s Urban Farming program prepares students to:
- Gain expertise in cultivation, landscape design,
nursery work and urban growing, as well as sales
- Acquire knowledge of growing and sustaining a business
- Positively engage with their community through
the operation of a socially responsible urban
Course Curriculum & Projects
Urban Farming introduces students to the basics of farming and helps them explore careers in agriculture and natural resources through hands-on training at Fairplex’s five-acre diversified farm. As the urban farming and food sustainability movements continue to grow, this class provides an opportunity for students to enter a rapidly expanding industry. In addition to experiencing what it takes to farm, students are introduced to:
- The concepts of leadership, horticulture, food justice, nutrition and community organizing.
- Skills such as transplanting plants, propagation
and landscape design; and business skills such
as packaging, sales and order fulfillment.
- The farm-to-table movement through cooperative learning with CTEC’s Culinary Arts class and on-site businesses such as Sheraton Hotel & Conference Center and McKinley’s Grill.
- Future opportunities through site visits to potential employers such as local farms, botanical gardens
How to Enroll
- Visit CTEC’s website, tlcfairplex.org/ctec.
- To view the current course schedule, click on the appropriate schedule link.
- To enroll in a course, click on the application tab to print the application. Select the CTEC class you wish to enroll in and complete the student information section.
- Submit the completed application to the CTEC office.
- Once your application is received, we will confirm your enrollment via email and/or phone.