This September 2011 at the Los Angeles County Fair, The Millard Sheets Center for the Arts will present ECLECTIONS: The Art of Collections. Exhibit Director, Tony Sheets, and his staff have gathered together an incredibly diverse array of unique artistic icons of art in American life and culture that a variety of collectors will display. Working artists and many collectors will be demonstrating and discussing their crafts to visitors of all ages. Art workshops will feature projects that reflect the collections in the exhibit. Our docent storytellers and guides will be available to share the captivating stories of these collectors, their collections and the timeless art of collecting.
Some of more than forty collections that will be on display include:
• Rare and colorful lunch boxes illustrated with the super heroes and TV stars we loved
• Out-of-this-world robots & ray guns that heralded the dawn of the space age
• Miniature gas racing cars, rare and detailed Smith-Miller trucks
• The Painted Ponies, featuring contemporary artists from around the world
• Working looms and spinning wheels operated by the Pomona Valley Weavers Guild (?)
• Mechanical banks that amused all and helped many amass small fortunes
• Creative neon signs that lit up Los Angeles from Hollywood to the desert
• Carnival chalk dolls: historical icons from Betty Boop to Popeye the Sailor
• The mechanical motion machines: the marvel of many a storefront window
• A Madonna of the Trail exhibit is a coast-to-coast sculptural ode to pioneer women
• Buttons, Marbles, Piggy banks, vintage clothing, license plates and so much more….
Eclections defines ‘the art of collecting’ and tells the stories of the collectors and their novel collections. This eye-catching, interactive installation sure to have something for everyone, young and old, with many collections that have never been exhibited anywhere before.