Once you’ve paid Fair admission – and there’s a deal on that nearly every day of the Fair, the best being a Season Pass for just $24.95 – you can enjoy exhibitions, concerts, demonstrations and live music every day without spending a dime. Save your money for some really amazing Fair food, shopping and of course, carnival rides. Here’s a sampling of cash-free Fair options:
1. Witness the birth of a new lamb, piglet, kid (that’s a baby goat) or calf at the Big Red Barn. It happens all the time. Last year amazed Fairguests welcomed nearly 100 new farm animals during the Fair.
2. Thrill to the world’s most talented rescue dogs, Splash Dogs and Extreme Canines Stunt Dog Show, in Bark Park.
3. Meet live alligators and animatronic dinosaurs in Jurassic Planet.
4. See the Rainforest Alive show in Going Green: Making a World of Difference to learn how rainforests protect and enrich our environment.
5. Wander through a representational timeline of man’s artistic ingenuity and creativity in The Making of Art: the First 30,000 Years in the Millard Sheets Center for the Arts. Weavers, glassblowers, metalworkers and painters are just a few of the artists that will practice their art live in the exhibition. Step outside the center and watch three artist teams as they build towers (as in Eiffel or Watts) from scratch and from scrap.
6. Grab your camera for a Safari Adventure in the Flower & Garden Pavilion’s Gateway to Africa. See live camels – we even have baby camels this year – zebras, ostriches, African yodeling dogs, pythons and more.
7. See live thoroughbred horse racing at Fairplex Park.
8. Woo woo! Tour the nation’s largest steam engine and diesel-powered locomotives at the Historic Trains exhibit.
9. Watch as volunteers build the Fair Habitat for Humanity house that will be moved to a Glendora neighborhood after the Fair and become a deserving family’s home.
10. Learn how to knit and make quilts at Tapestry in the Village on Broadway.
11. Make your own origami shark in the Shark Shack in America’s Kid’s Under the Sea.
12. Test your auto racing motor skills at the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum.
13. See a live concert. Fair admission is good for free general admission seating to End of Summer Concert Series events (check lacountyfair.com for details).
14. Thrill to the Misadventures of Cap’n Arrr, an interactive comedy show in A Pirate’s Life.
Many more opportunities for fun, educational activities make the L.A. County Fair an attractive, value-based family “stay-cation.” Join us for free Fair fun.
The L.A. County Fair opens Labor Day weekend, Sept. 5 – 7 and then Wednesday – Sunday, Sept. 9 – Oct. 4, closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Live thoroughbred racing Sept. 10 – 28, dark Mondays Sept. 14, 21 and Tuesdays. For information on ways to save at the Fair, visit lacountyfair.com.