High School Juniors, Seniors Gain Valuable Professional Experience
The Learning Centers at Fairplex is proud to announce the names of Junior Fair Board members for 2010-2011.
The Junior Fair Board Scholarship Program, a program of The Learning Centers at Fairplex, is sponsored by the Los Angeles County Fair Association and private donors. The program honors exemplary achievements by local high school sophomores and juniors. Students enter the two-year program as juniors.
Members of “The Class of 2010-11” are, in alphabetical order:
• Taylor Austin, Chino Hills High School
• Katharine Baker, Upland High School
• Celene Barrera, West Covina High School
• Antoun Bouz, San Dimas High School
• Katrina Chan, Diamond Bar High School
• Maxine Dior Chapman, South Hills High School
• Vivian Chen, Diamond Bar High School
• Rachel Fishelberg, Ayala High School
• Anissa Garcia, Village Academy High School
• Carmen Garcia, West Covina High School
• Ryan Godoy, Upland High School
• Michelle Ha, Pomona High School
• Denise Huipio, Ganesha High School
• Brianna Leon, Ayala High School
• Minghao (Steven) Li, Bonita High School
• Brian Liu, Glendora High School
• Catherine Marquez, Bonita High School
• Mario Marquez, Garey High School
• Karla Navarrete, Claremont High School
• Lauren Nunez, Don Lugo High School
• Sam O'Braitis, Diamond Ranch High School
• Christine O'Connell, Glendora High School
• Mansi Patel, Village Academy High School
• Catherine Phan, Pomona High School
• Jumel Nicole Sacro, San Dimas High School
• Stephanie Sanders, Don Lugo High School
• Ben Schoenberg, Claremont High School
• Ashley Siapho, San Dimas High School
• Kalyn Rose Taylor, Chino Hills High School
• Nicholas Tucker, Claremont High School
• David Vera, Bonita High School
JFB members learn about Fairplex through various work experiences, and are involved now behind-the-scenes for the 2010 L.A. County Fair, Sept. 4-Oct. 3. They also participate in community and Fair-based projects.
Lucas Klotz, 21, of La Verne is a graduate of the JFB, having served during 2005 when he was a junior at Bonita High School. He just graduated from Pepperdine in May and is looking forward to his new job at Northrop Grumman in San Diego.
Klotz worked mostly in the Fairplex marketing department, where he said it was “really fun” producing The Horse’s Mouth, the JFB newsletter. His experiences in marketing at Fairplex, he added, helped when he went to Pepperdine University, where he majored in business administration.
He and other JFB members were assigned by the exhibits department to evaluate America’s Kids, the NHRA Museum and other exhibits during the Fair to determine how to better attract teens – their own demographic.
Klotz, like other JFB members, developed skills that enhanced an understanding of himself, and he discovered new interests that he used further in his education.
“I had a huge interest in marketing at Pepperdine thanks to my time at Fairplex,” he recalled. “I was able to pick up a graphic design position at Pepperdine with the campus recreation department.
“I also became the graphics director for Newswaves, Pepperdine’s local cable news show. I was in charge of over-the-shoulder graphics, the weather satellite images and a few other elements.”
In addition to all their experience, JFB members receive scholarships. For more information about the Junior Fair Board Scholarship Program, visit www.fairplex.com.
Under the direction of the Los Angeles County Fair Association, Fairplex is home to the L.A. County Fair, the largest county fair in the world, as well as The Learning Centers which encompasses Fairtime Learning, The Child Development Center, The Career and Technical Education Center (CTEC), the Junior Fair Board, and the Millard Sheets Center for the Arts. Fairplex also operates a diverse hospitality business with the Sheraton Fairplex, McKinley’s Grille, KOA RV Park, Finish Line Sports Grill, Cornucopia Foods, and the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel and Conference Center (opening 2011). The campus is also home to the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum and the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona; horse-racing and Barretts Equine Limited; as well as the Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition. For more information, please visit www.fairplex.com.