So you really want to stick to your diet while you’re running around the 2010 L.A. County Fair, where tantalizing temptations lie around every corner?
Actually you can with plenty of delectable choices to please your palate.
You know how to “eat right” already, so apply the same principles to dining at the Fair.
Enjoy fresh grilled corn-on-the-cob – just peel back the husk and skip the butter – sprinkle on some parmesan cheese, some pepper and salt, and you’re good to go:
• BBQ Tri Tip: Shopping Place, Pepper
• Big Bubba’s Bad to the Bone BBQ: Outdoor Living, Broadway
• Chicken Charlie: Carnival, Oak, and Shopping Place, Palm & Broadway
• Chuck Wagon: FairView Farms, Birch, and Carnival, Juniper
• Corn Shack: Carnival
• Outlaw Grill: Carnival, Eucalyptus
• Rib Ranch Eatery: Grandstand, Broadway
If you’re getting a bit thirsty, water’s always good for your diet, but fresh fruit smoothies will give you a dose of vitamins and anti-oxidants while cooling you off. Head to these stands:
• Maui Waui Hawaiian Blends, Home & Garden, Mojo’s Jungle
• Sippers & More, Multiple Locations
• Dasani Water, Multiple Locations
• Terri’s Berries-Smoothies, Shopping Place, Pepper & Redwood
• Smoothies, Shopping Place
Keep your strength up with some protein, and a lean choice is always chicken. Broasted or barbecued, peel off the skin to make the meal even leaner:
• Broasted Chicken: Outdoor Living, Oak
• Chicken Kabob: Grandstand, Broadway and Shopping Place, Broadway/Palm/Pepper
• BBQ Chicken: Multiple Locations
• Rotisserie Chicken: Shopping Place, Broadway & Palm
Speaking of poultry – turkey legs are another lean on-the-go choice. And you’ll feel like Henry VIII with each bite (but skip the skin).
• Turkey Wings: Shopping Place, Palm
• Juicy’s: Outdoor Living, Broadway & Birch and the Carnival
• Outlaw Grill: Carnival, Eucalyptus
• Babe’s: Kid’s Zone, Ash
• Chuckwagon: Kid’s Zone, Birch
• Jose’s Concessions: Shopping Place, Pepper
Famed Pink’s Hot Dogs has a turkey dog that you’ll find at its locations in the Carnival and Shopping Place at Juniper & Palm.
Baked potatoes with lean toppings complement your lean chicken and turkey choices, too. In fact, use some of your chicken as a topping for a satisfying meal. Baked potatoes can be found on Broadway near the Grandstand and in Building 4 of Shopping Place.
Steamed artichokes and vegetable kabobs are full of nutrients and have no fat if you can resist tempting dips and such. You’ll find them on Broadway near the Grandstand and in Outdoor Living at Oak.
The L.A. County Fair is Sept. 4-Oct. 3. Hours are Saturday, Sept. 4 and Sunday, Sept. 5, 10 a.m.-midnight; Monday, Sept. 6, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; Wednesdays, noon-10 p.m.; Thursdays, noon-11 p.m.; Fridays, noon-midnight; Saturdays, 10 a.m.-midnight; and Sundays, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
Under the direction of the Los Angeles County Fair Association, Fairplex is home to the L.A. County Fair, the largest county fair in the world, as well as The Learning Centers which encompasses Fairtime Learning, The Child Development Center, The Career and Technical Education Center (CTEC), the Junior Fair Board, and the Millard Sheets Center for the Arts. Fairplex also operates a diverse hospitality business with the Sheraton Fairplex, McKinley’s Grille, KOA RV Park, Finish Line Sports Grill, Cornucopia Foods, and the Sheraton Fairplex Hotel and Conference Center (opening 2011). The campus is also home to the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum and the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona; horse-racing and Barretts Equine Limited; as well as the Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition. For more information, please visit www.fairplex.com.