Break out the Hula Hoop, unwrap a wad of pink bubblegum. Pretend its 1958 and participate in some hometown fun that is Kinder. Simpler. Funner. Whatever your pleasure, there is bound to be a contest for you at the 81st anniversary of the L.A. County Fair.
Contests are great opportunities for the public to have an active part in experiencing the Fair. Throughout the 17 days of the Fair, guests can join in for hours of fun as they cool off with a water balloon toss, try to blow the biggest bubble in the Bubble Gum Blowing contest, see how fast they can eat a “Texas-size” donut, test their aerobics class skills by joining the Hula Hoop contest and lots more.
The L.A. County Fair contest and games program offers children and adults of all ages a chance to win a ribbon or be a part of the traditional excitement of the Fair.
Here are some of the contests that will be held during the Fair. A complete listing will be available in the Fair program.
• Spaghetti Eating, 5 p.m., Sept. 12, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Limber Limbo, 7 p.m., Sept. 12, Clocktower Plaza
• Bubblegum Blowing, 11:30 a.m., Sept. 13, Palms Stage
• Whistling, 1:30 p.m., Sept. 13, Shopping Place Stage
• Hula Hoop, 11:30 a.m., Sept. 14, Palms Stage
• Bad Hair, 3:30 p.m., Sept. 14, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Farmer John Hog Calling, 4 p.m., Sept. 15, FairView Farms
• Youth Donut Eating, 3 p.m., Sept. 15, Shopping Place Stage
• Tarzan Yell, 5 p.m., Sept. 16, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Diaper Derby, 1:30 p.m., Sept. 18, Fairplex 4 Community Stage
• Charmin Mummy Wrap, 11:30 a.m., Sept. 20, Palms Stage
• Mother/Daughter Look-Alike, 1 p.m., Sept. 20, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Bean Spittin’, 11:30 a.m., Sept. 21, Palms Stage
• Twins & Triplets, 3 p.m., Sept. 21, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Tortilla Toss, 5 p.m., Sept. 22, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Alta Dena Dairy Seniors Milk Drinking, noon, Sept. 23, FairView Farms
• Belching, 7 p.m., Sept. 24, Clocktower Plaza
• Alta Dena Certified Dairy Butter Churning to Music, noon, Sept. 26, FairView Farms
• Father/Son Look-Alike, 2 p.m., Sept. 27, Sparklett’s Dragon’s Den Stage
• Rooster Crowing and Hen Cackling, 1 p.m., Sept. 28, FairView Farms
Most Fun-For-All contests do not require prior registration, but some do, like the Mother/Daughter, Father/Son and Twins and Triplets. Some contests in A Tapestry of Tradition and America’s Kids also require pre-registration.
For more information on contests and registration information, or general information on the L.A. County Fair, visit the Web site at lacountyfair.com or call (909) 623-3111.