Since its inception shortly after the end of prohibition, the L.A. International Wine & Spirits Competition has maintained the highest standards of integrity and professionalism in its seven decades of tradition, attracting wines from North and South America, and Italy. In 2002, the competition achieved world-class standing and opened its doors to wine entries from around the world. Wines from premiere wineries such as Hahn estates and Silver Stone Wines have showcased, competed and won multiple awards throughout the competition’s rich history.
- Marking its 74th edition, this year’s prestigious competition is expected to feature more than 3,000 wine entries with a judging panel that has grown to 75 of the leading international wine experts from all across the globe.
- A variety of wines are judged in the Competition, ranging from innovative new wines to sweet dessert wines in wide variety of categories such as Best Late Harvest Wine to Best of Class Red $15- $29.99.
- There are also competitions for Bordeaux and Saké.
- The Competition also is the foundation for an extensive wine education program available to nearly 1.5 million visitors at the L.A. County Fair. Having begun public wine tasting in 1968, the Fair opened a wine education center in 1998, complete with consumer-driven classes, tastings and displays of the award-winning wines. With the L.A. International Wine & Spirits Competition committed to educating the public about wine, the Fair’s wine education program features industry experts with extensive knowledge about wine growing and selection, wine tasting as well as wine and food pairings.
- Not satisfied with conquering the world of wine, in 2000 the Competition continued to evolve with the category addition of the finest international and domestic extra virgin olive oil. Then 2007 brought another exciting dimension to the world-renowned Competition with the addition of spirits.
Showcasing the finest vintages from America and countries throughout the world, this wine tasting competition is widely considered to be one of the most prestigious in the United States. The 2013 L.A. International Wine & Spirits Competition takes place May
15 & 16.